Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Thank God I counted to 10...

I was going to post the contents of today's correspondence, Julian's and mine, mine to him, his to me, and mine to him, and his to me again. In fact I have a draft with it all saved right here, formatted, with all the names, places and contact information obscured. And I read it through, and I actually read the disclaimer after his automatic e-signature thingie for the first time:

SECURITY/CONFIDENTIALITY WARNING: This email and any attachments hereto are intended solely for the individual or entity to which they are addressed. This communication may contain information that is privileged, confidential, or exempt from disclosure under applicable Federal Law (HIPAA) e.g., personal health information, research data and/or financial information. Because this email has been sent without encryption, individuals other than the intended recipient may be able to view the information, forward it to others or tamper with the information without my knowledge or consent. If you are not the intended recipient, or the employee or person responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, any dissemination, distribution or copying of the communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify me immediately by replying to this message and by deleting the message and any accompanying files from your system. If, due to the security risks, you do not wish to receive further communications via email, please reply to this message and inform me that you do not wish to receive further emails from me.

And I thought about paraphrasing him, but I didn't want to, and I thought about just posting my letter and describing his response, and then I thought the whole thing seemed really disrespectful. I mean everything that goes on between us in that room is private and, well, so are all intimate moments, shared or solitary, worth writing about... and so many people do it, but to take his words (besides bordering on illegal), or my private words to him, to recycle them and display them, that's another story. I won't do it. Those e-mails, starred, saved, cherished, are staying between us. I'll write about them, it's nothing monumental, but I won't exploit them like that. God no. I can't believe I was considering it.

No comments:

Post a Comment